Moving into a new house is often an exciting experience, although it can be challenging and exerting.
Fortunately, we have provided tips that will make it easier for you to pack your belongings below.
Sort and declutter
To begin, sort through your items and get rid of the things you no longer need. This will make your load lighter and easier to haul if you are moving it yourself. Also, it will reduce the number of boxes you need to put your belongings in.
Dispose of the items you no longer need by donating, recycling, or selling them off.
Have the right packing supplies
You must have all the supplies you need to pack your belongings before you start packing. This will help to prevent skimping on tape when it runs low or rushing to buy more supplies while in the middle of packing.
Some important packing supplies to have are:
- Moving boxes: Pack your properties in multiple boxes of varying sizes – small, medium, and large – regardless of your load size or the distance you are traveling.
- Packing tape: Buy several quality packing tapes to ensure that your boxes hold up while moving.
- Bubble wrap: Secure fragile items with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and packing paper.
- Moving blankets: Protect your furniture from dings and scratches while moving by putting them in a moving blanket. You can either buy these blankets or rent them from your moving company.
- Mattress bag: Protect your mattress with a mattress bag to prevent them from gathering dust and debris.
- Stretch wrap: Keep items together or secure dresser drawers with this tool.
- Sharpie or thick markers: Label your moving boxes with a thick permanent marker or a sharpie.
You want to get the following items as well:
- Plastic bags
- Sharpies or thick markers
- Furniture dolly
- Pack your loads efficiently
Pack your boxes properly
Adhere to the following rules to enable you pack your loads more efficiently.
- Put light items in larger boxes and heavy items in smaller ones to make them easier to lift
- Place heavy items at the bottom of the box
- Fill empty spaces with the right-sized items
- Avoid putting too many items in a box
- Use specialty boxes
- Label each box with its contents and the room they belong in
- Avoid putting items from different rooms in the same box
- Tape boxes securely at the top, bottom, and around the edges
- Keep your clothes on hangers
- Cover the openings of all liquids with plastic wraps to reduce spills
- Put your essential items in an overnight back
- Hold on to valuables like legal documents, jewelry, and heirlooms, when moving
Packing can be exerting and tiring. As a result, you may feel like throwing some items in your boxes to hasten the process.
However, doing this may damage your properties while moving. It may also make it difficult to locate certain items or unpack at your destination.
We recommend that you hire professional movers or a packing company.
If you can’t get a professional moving company, invite a few friends to help you pack and treat them to dinner afterward. This will not only reduce the burden on you, the company will also help you enjoy yourself more.